Sunday, August 31, 2008

Spijkers en Spijkers Eileen mohair kimono coat

Every Winter I feel I have 'nothing to wear', and struggle to keep warm yet stylish, despite the dozens of coats I own (I own more coats than I do skirts and pants, and absolutely LOVE them!). This year I bought these Spijkers en Spijkers coats, which are brilliant! The kimono sleeves and loose design allow me to assemble a stylish outfit underneath it (from a very blouson-like Stella McCartney jacket, to an actual Haori Kimono, or a bulky by Malene Birger alpaca cardigan) comfortably & VERY warm! I couldn't decide between the two colours, so bought both the black and the grey (a bad habit I seem to have, this time I truly thought I was going to return one, alas, I am too indecisive). Love the mirrored silver buttons, the different textures and gorgeous wide sleeves:


(www.firstview.com)

Spijkers en Spijkers is a fashion label formed by Dutch sisters Truus and Riet Spijkers in 1996 (I've been a fan since 'discovering' them in 2000). Their work is partial to Art-Deco and Modernist styles of the 1920's: 'The Modernistic aspect, ‘form follows function’, is a principle directive in Spijkers & Spijkers design process, and for them, decoration always has a functional element or defines the shape of the garment.

On trying to find more pictures of my Eileen mohair kimono coat, I was excited to see the lovely Susie (of Style Bubble) trying this coat out, showcasing it better than the runway model above.

photo from www.stylebubble.typepad
On a recent trip to Byron Bay I brought one of my coats along:
From left to right: Spijkers en Spijkers Eileen coat in grey, Vintage Haori silk kimono, Stella McCartney for Target cashmere/wool oversized zip cardigan, Burberry Prorsum striped 3/4 sleeved top, and lastly, hubby's treasured grandfather's jacket.

6 comments:

  1. I love love love this coat. So glad you got both colours, they both look fab on you! The detailing is so much more defined in the gray but I love the versatility of the black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I honestly bought both so that I could decide when they arrived. Sadly for my wallet, seeing them IRL did not make the decision any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky! I'm supremely jealous that you bought not just the fantastic grey one but the black too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Erin! I've been living in both of them this Winter(have the black one on today). SO warm! Hope to post more pics sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was excited to find this site. I need to to thank you for ones time
    just for this fantastic read!! I definitely
    savored every bit of it and i also have you bookmarked to see new stuff on your web site.



    My page :: Kit

    ReplyDelete